Its a satisfying moment, pulling your own veg and brushing the dirt off to see what you've got. Long passed is the anticipation that follows sowing and the steady nurturing of spring seedlings. With veg on the table it's time to decide what to do with it!
Soup's a regular in our house because it's nutritious, quick & easy to prepare; and right now we are enjoying two old favourites:
Carrot & Corriander Soup
- 1 Onion, 2 Garlic Cloves & 1 Tbsp Corriander Seeds
- 600g Carrots, 1L Veg Stock, Tbsp Olive Oil & Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Double Cream, 2Tbsp Greek Yoghurt & Corriander
- Put the oil on a medium heat and add the chopped onion & garlic.
- Crush the corriander seeds in a pestle & mortar, stir into the pan and turn the heat to low for 5 mins.
- Add the finely chopped carrots & hot stock to the pan - simmer until soft.
- Season to taste, blend & add the cream.
- Garnish with yoghurt & freshly chopped corriander.
Beetroot & Carraway Soup
- 1 Onion, 1 Garlic Clove, 2 Tsp Carraway Seeds & Balsamic.
- 500g Beetroot, 1L Chicken Stock, Seasoning & Greek Yoghurt
- Sweat the onions in a pan on a low heat for 5 mins with a lid on.
- Remove the lid, add a splash of balsamic vinegar & reduce.
- Add half of the carraway seeds & mix well.
- Add stock & the peeled, chopped beets to the pan - simmer until cooked.
- Blend and season to taste.
- Garnish with the yoghurt and the remaining seeds (toasted).
Two great summer soups that go well with freshly baked bread and a glass of the spring made Dandelion & Elderflower wine. Enjoy!